Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Need an Excuse to Declutter? Join Me for a Treasure Hunt!

A lot of clients assume that I must have the neatest, most clutter-free home. Well, to tell you the truth, I'm not immune to collecting clutter. I am, however, committed to living as simply as possible. I don't like getting bogged down in clutter, so I make regular trips to various places around the city to drop off donations. I'm not worried about "needing it someday." Living without clutter right now is better than living for "someday."

A client recently told me that a friend of hers makes regular shipments to the Philippines which are dispersed to various charities there. I didn't realize the Philippines were so in need, but according to this woman, who is from Mindanao, the rural areas are extremely poor. In fact, she even sends basic food supplies like rice and corn meal, because even these are lacking there.

So I am initiating a collection of items in good condition to be sent: clothing, especially men's, unopened over the counter medications, sneakers and shoes, pots and pans, kids' school supplies, crayons and colored pencils, and anything else you think wouldn't create landfill or environmental hazards. Even though I regularly clean out my clutter, I went on a treasure hunt throughout the house and collected 2 big bags filled with clothes and shoes, towels, a wool blanket, greeting cards and note paper, pens and pencils, and other things.

Would you like to join me on the treasure hunt? If you'd like to make a donation to be sent to the Philippines, contact me and we'll figure out how to get the stuff to this person to be sent. Weight is no issue as they have special big cargo boxes that can be filled for a flat $40 to the Philippines, regardless of weight. And if you'd like to sponsor the cost of shipment, that would be fabulous! Please email me at debramichaud@hotmail.com, or you can call me at 773.343.2939. Thanks!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written article.

3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home